Moving Out and Moving On
There are a number of essential steps to take prior to and during the move-out process:
- Provide appropriate notice to your property owner for when you will be vacating the premises, some property owners require a 60-day notice or more.
- Provide your property owner with a forwarding address
- Clean your apartment/house thoroughly using this checklist
- Fill out a move-out checklist, documenting the condition of the property once you have moved out
- Take pictures and video of the unit
- Return the keys to the property owner by the end of the lease term
- Always dispose of your trash properly
Bulk items are not collected unless the resident schedules a bulk pick-up collection. Some large items cannot be thrown away because they are too big to fit in the trash container. Bulk items include, but are not limited to:
- Non-refrigerant appliances
For more information on what you can do with your bulk items, contact the City's 311 Call Center at 614-645-3111 or visit the City of Columbus website.
Return of Your Security Deposit
Your property owner is required to return your security deposit, or an itemized list of deductions, within 30 days of the end of the lease term. If you are having issues with the return of your security deposit or you believe your security deposit is wrongfully withheld, contact Student Legal Services at 614-247-5853.