Common Housing Issues

Getting Repairs

When repairs are necessary for your rental unit, contact your property owner to make the repair request. The property owner typically has up to 30 days to repair non-emergency requests. If you are encountering issues with repairs, contact Student Legal Services.

Challenges With Your Property Owner

Unlawful Entry

  • Your property manager is required to provide 24 hours notice prior to entering the premises in non-emergency instances. If you are having issues with your property manager entering unlawfully, contact Student Legal Services. You also want to send a notice of unlawful entry immediately to your property manager (make sure to keep a copy for your records)


  • Your property owner has the right to evict a tenant for various reasons. However, the property owner must follow certain procedures. Immediately contact Student Legal Services if you receive an eviction notice.

Noisy Neighbors

  • If you're having issues with your neighbors, contact your property owner immediately to notify them of the situation. You also want to send the property owner a letter providing notice of the noise violation, make sure to keep a copy for your records. 
  • If the problem persists, you may want to contact the police to report a noise disturbance. Make sure to keep a copy of the police report for your records, and send a copy to your property owner.


Sexual Harassment & Discrimination

  • If you feel you have been sexually harassed by your property owner or his/her employee, immediately contact Student Legal Services.
  • If you feel your property owner or their employee has discriminated against you, immediately contact Student Legal Services.

Sale of Property

  • During your lease term, your property owner might sell the building you are living in. Even if you get a new property owner mid-year, your current lease still remains valid, however, exceptions do exist.

Student Legal Service

If you have any questions or concerns regarding property owner retaliation, sexual harassment or discrimination, rent increase, black mold, rodents, etc. contact Student Legal Services 614-247-5853, 20 E. 11th Avenue.

If you suspect your unit has a code violation and your property manager refuses to fix the problem, contact the City of Columbus Housing Code Enforcement at 614-645-8139 to request a Code Enforcement Officer to inspect the premises.